One of the popular festive dish in South India. Always a hit in potlucks too!!!
This is a easy dish to prepare and a favorite food for most of the people.
- 25o gms of Tamarind (soak and microwave for 30 seconds)
- 3 cups of Sona Masuri rice/Basmati rice
- Seasoning: Shallow fry all the ingredients
- Peanuts- Depends on your tast
- Cashews-2 (optional)
- Mustard seeds-2 tb spoons
- Urad dal-3 tb spoons
- Channa dal=3 tb spoons
- Red chilles-4
- Green chilly-5-6 (slit them)
- curry leaves
- Asofotedia- Pinch
- Fenugreek powder-1/2 tb spoon
- Mustard powder-3/4 tb spoon
- Cook 3 cups of Rice with 6-7 cups of water.
- Soak and make a fine pulp of Tamarind.
- Boil the tamarind pulp with a pinch of salt, turmeric, sugar and 2 green chillies.
- As it thickens, simmer it and off the stove to cool it down.
- Add turmeric, salt, and the tamarind pulp to the cooked rice.
- Add seasoning and lastly sprinkle the fenugreek and mustard powder.
- Let it cool down and ready to eat.
- You can store the tamarind pulp in fridge and use it for atleast 3-4 times for making tamarind rice.
Serves 4-5 people.