Curry leaves in US are very precious as its expensive and sometimes, it just becomes so scarce that you will have to request the shopkeeper to keep aside for you specially. Recently, my mom told that Curry leaves/Karvepaku has great nutrients and tastes the best. Since, we just use it for garnishing and waste them without eating, this is a good way of utilizing those valuable leaves. Luckily, I had good stock of them and tried it. Believe it or not, it was a instant hit. Try it for yourself......
- 5 stalks of curry leaves
- 1 spoon of Dhaniya
- 1 spoon of Urad dal
- 1/2 spoon of Mustard seeds
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4 Red chillis
- 2 green chillis
- small lump of tamarind
- pinch of Hing (asfotedia or Inguva)
- pinch of sugar or jaggery
- Wash curry leaves well and put them in a open skillet and dry roast them till the moisture is let out.
- After removing the curry leaves, add 2 spoons of oil and heat it well.
- Fry Dhaniya, urad dal, mustard seeds, redchillis, garlic cloves, sprinkle hing
- Let these cool for a while and add salt, tamarind, jaggery.
- Grind them to a paste and then add the curry leaves and green chillis.
- Blend all of them together.