Friday, October 17, 2008

Curry leaves Chutney/Karvepaku Karam


Curry leaves in US are very precious as its expensive and sometimes, it just becomes so scarce that you will have to request the shopkeeper to keep aside for you specially. Recently, my mom told that Curry leaves/Karvepaku has great nutrients and tastes the best. Since, we just use it for garnishing and waste them without eating, this is a good way of utilizing those valuable leaves. Luckily, I had good stock of them and tried it. Believe it or not, it was a instant hit. Try it for yourself......

Ingredients
:
  • 5 stalks of curry leaves
  • 1 spoon of Dhaniya
  • 1 spoon of Urad dal
  • 1/2 spoon of Mustard seeds
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 4 Red chillis
  • 2 green chillis
  • small lump of tamarind
  • pinch of Hing (asfotedia or Inguva)
  • pinch of sugar or jaggery
Method
  • Wash curry leaves well and put them in a open skillet and dry roast them till the moisture is let out.
  • After removing the curry leaves, add 2 spoons of oil and heat it well.
  • Fry Dhaniya, urad dal, mustard seeds, redchillis, garlic cloves, sprinkle hing
  • Let these cool for a while and add salt, tamarind, jaggery.
  • Grind them to a paste and then add the curry leaves and green chillis.
  • Blend all of them together.
You can have it with Rice or Dosas.

4 comments:

Vinod Vedire said...

Wow..awesome recipe..should definetly try this with idlis dosas and uthappam..Karvepaku Karam reminds me of my childhood days when mom used to prepare it whenever we had dosas and idlis..good old days!!

Santosh Veluguri said...

OMG Hima..This is an awesome blog..

Really appreciate your efforts. I was thinking of actually blogging today when I was making Coriander Pulav. It came really well you know :)

We're glad we can enjoy your recipes across atlantic...Cheers!

pardhu said...

Hey Hima, Great idea! Great blog. I wish I could try them all...:) And by the way, Curry leaves Karam tastes great with curd rice too. That's one of my favorite ways of savoring it. And....Does not chutney usually refer to something which is liquid-ish? Correct me if I am wrong.

Unknown said...

Thanks a lot Guys, you are giving me great encouragement!!!!

Santosh, share your Corainder pulav with us too.