Friday, January 30, 2009

Appalu/Buralu


I'm an ardent sweet fan and I love the preparation of sweets. I always find reasons to make sweet dishes and offer them to GOD to appease my sweet buds taste :-). My mom and grand mom are experts in making sweets. My Grandmother's signature dish is "Appalu" or "Booralu"and when we used to visit her place in summer holidays, she used to make it. I totally forgot this taste as years passed by, and my Mother-in-law recently made it. Old, forgotten sweet buds came alive and their size was so small that I couldn't stop with one or two.

I devoured them with great joy and so can you now with this recipe.

"Appalu" OR "Booralu" is a little tircky to make, but when made it with little attention and care can make this item very easy. Patience and lot of time in hand is the key to make sweets

Ingredients:

1 cup Rice flour
1/2 cups Wheat Flour
2 cup Jaggery
1 spoon Coconut powder
4-5 Eliachi powder

Oil to deep fry

Preparation:
1) Heat 2 cups of water and bring it to boil.
2) Pour 2 cups of Jaggery and let it come like a syrup in water.
3) Mix rice flour and wheat flour in the jaggery mix.
4) Constantly keep stirring the flour and jaggery syrup to avoid lumps.
5)Mix it until it becomes a thick paste and bring it to cool.
6) Once it cools down, add the coconut and ealichi powder.
7) Make small rounds and flatten them as shown above in the picture.
8) Deep fry them till golden brown.

Appalu or Booralu can stay fresh for almost a week. The only test for you to confirm if you have made it well or not is its soft texture and should be easy to bite. If they are hard, then you need to give it a try again.

1 comment:

ARUNA said...

Hima, its definetely a mouth-watering dish!!!! I want to eat them right away!!!